Monday, February 4, 2008

Paper Mache

Click on the images to enlarge them to see the detail



I love working with paper mache but this type is a paper mache clay. It's called Celluclay and it's made by Activa. Here's a link to their web site: http://www.reuels.com/reuels/Activa_White_Celluclay_II.html

At one time I used their product for my design work and this is just one of the designs. I actually started wit a chunk of packing foam material that I think came with a new monitor. It was then covered with the Celluclay and when it was dry, I painted it with craft acrylic paints. I made three indentions in the top for the three candles; which are actually little clay pot trays.


The cute little Celluclay bowls were really fun to make. You can see that the one on the left has a crocheted wire embellishment on the outside and the one on the right has a crocheted thread embellisment on the inside. It also has little bone handles. I actually boiled my own chicken bones to use. I know that's weird but it's really done more than you think.


This guy is Celluclay over a cardboard box. I have to admit I went a little overboard with the rust medium but he doesn't look too bad. The face is a wood glue-on much like the medallions you can find at your craft store. I attached it to the box after the paper mache and had to use a caulking around the edge of the wood piece to fill in any gaps. He looks great out on your patio as would the first piece with the candles. Make sure you use a very good polyurathane varnish.
All my designs are copyrighted and not for reproduction without my consent. You may use my idea for your own use but not for resale. copyright 2008

No comments: